Thursday, July 9, 2009
I am not a pet person
To all of you who love your pets, I don't know how you do it. When we moved in we...ok, I decided, Ben thinks it was a little silly...to get the girls a fish. Ben wanted a dog or a rat. Yeah right, honey. So, I went to Petsmart and told the guy that I was looking for a very low maintance fish that wouldn't die very easily. I do not have a good track record for keeping things alive. Just ask Ben's orange tree. The guy pointed me to the beta fish. Julia spent 10 minutes looking through all the beta fish and finally picked out the biggest, purplest fish she could find.
That kid loves purple. We got the food, tank and a Dora "toy" because all fish need Dora toys. Since the fish was purple and there was a Dora, Julia quickly dubbed him Tico (in honor of Dora's purple squirrel friend). We got to the checkout counter and the lady started giving me instructions on how to care for this 2 inch, slimy little fish. Apparently my idea of low maintance was too optimistic. The lady told me that I have to feed it twice a day and change 30% of the water every 3 or 4 days. With the orange tree, I only had to water it once every 2 weeks and put fertalizer in occasionally and I still killed it. Now, I realize that dogs, cats and other pets are more loving than a fish named Tico. But every time I have to put my hand in the water to clean the sides of the tank, I feel queasy. I have to scrub slime off the Dora toy and clean out the gravel at the bottom of the tank. YUCK! The thought of cleaning up after the dog or rat than Ben wants is just too much for me. I clean up after my kids because I love them and we'll be together forever. The fish, I feel no such love for. But, Julia does.
She will show him toys or tell him a story and she loves feeding him.
Adria doesn't care as much, but she will make fish noises and babble at him. I may complain, but I do hope that Tico lives for many happy fish years. Welcome to the family, Tico.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Good luck, you're a brave mama! (I once killed a cactus!)
We started off with a beta too - I had one once that lived in a vase with a big ol' plant on top and it would swim through the roots. It was a lily I think. I never fed the fish because it ate from the plant - Talk about low maintenance!
Post a Comment