Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Adria

*Note from Tricia. I was going to post tonight about my week with my family, but Ben asked if he could do the following post instead.
My wife Tricia had a Sharpie in her purse from writting names on water bottles. The thought never occured to me that I needed to explain to Adria the correct place to use a Sharpie. I will tell you how she decided where to write. See this wall? You can see it wasn't a lot of Sharpie, just a test to see if it would work. I think in Adria's mind she thought, "If mommy can write on water bottles with this, where can I write? Look how pretty the Sharpie looks on this wall. But I know I can use chalk or ink pads or crayons for walls, this is boring. Where else can I write? On the bed? Oh yes, it works, but the wood is dark and it's hard to see. Maybe it will work better on the dresser. No, not really, it just blends in. Oh wow! Look at this shiny DVD on the dresser. Does it work on the DVD? Yeah! That's lots of fun. I can color in Harry's face. Ooooh, the other side is shiny. That's even better. Hey, what about Julia's princess shoes? They need some black to offset the pink. That's good, I'll do the other one too. Now this white fleece blanket. That works well, but it's boring like the walls. I know! I've tried chalk and crayon on carpet, but they don't work. I wonder if the marker will work on the carpet. It does!! Yeah! I'll make nice big letters. I'll write Adria and Julia. Hmmm, I'll be this writes really well on my shirt and my tummy and legs."
Obviously I've put words into Adria's mouth, but I don't think it's far off from what she was thinking. She has an insatiable thrist for knowlege and experiences. To be honest, I think it's probably pay back for me as a child. I was often found exploring and getting into trouble just because I wanted to know how things work. Adria is a great blessing in our life. Hopefully this is the only experience she needs with a Sharpie. In case you didn't know, Sharpie on a DVD means the DVD won't play. No need to break the bad CDs anymore, just use a Sharpie.
Adria also has a passion for life. And the biggest heart a little girl could have. She loves everyone and everything. I think her big brown puppy eyes contribute, but I love how her face comes alive when she sees something she cares about like Grandparents, aunts, uncles, her best friend Julia and I could go on forever. I think a story from her nap time today shows it best. Tricia put her in bed with only one of the dolls from a set of twins. She was very upset so mommy went and got the boy doll. After Tricia shut the door, we could hear Adria talking, "Oh Brother! I missed you Brother! Are you tired? Oh Sister! My best friend. Let's take a nap and then go to the park. I love you Brother. I love you sister." She plays this way with all of her toys. Nothing held back. Daddy loves you, little princess.

0 comments: